Sunday, May 11, 2008

Since last Sunday...

I want to be a better blogger, so I'm going to try to post weekly updates. I like this format, so, yay, let's give it a whirl :). Here's what we've been up to...





HAPPY: Happy Mother's Day! I hope all you awesome moms were totally spoiled on Sunday. I sure was, Dustin made sure of that! He woke up with the boys so I could sleep in and then took care of everything that afternoon (including dinner-- BBQ ribs! MMMMM!!) while I took a two-hour nap! Ah, isn't that what every mother wants on her day? ;) Dustin also treated me with two beautiful Mother's Day gifts (an elegant jewelry set and a gorgeous jewelry box). What a wonderful husband I have! As for the kids, Jonathan took a nap during Church, so thanks for that "gift", baby boy! Benjamin decorated my card and made a candy flower for me in nursery (which he had a hard time giving up, so I shared the chocolate). Besides feeling exceedingly loved and appreciated, I also found myself feeling so... grateful. Grateful for the precious opportunity to be a mother, especially a "stay-at-home" mommy with my amazing, fun little boys. It's very challenging, but, y'know, it's a great blessing, too. I wouldn't have it any other way.




ROUGH: On Monday I took Benjamin to get his blood drawn (he has a peanut allergy and we check in with the allergist each year and he orders a blood test to see if the allergy is technically "better" or "worse" than the year before). We had Benjamin's allergist appointment that morning and I thought it'd work best to just get the blood work over with right away. (To get Benjamin prepped, I told him he was getting a shot in his arm and it would hurt, but it would get better fast. He wasn't too phased, and when we got to the lab, he asked brightly, "Are we at the shot store?" Store? Oh, "getting" a shot... oh dear... how do you prep your little kids for these things?) Well, sparing details, the lab wasn't too kid-friendly and, if you've ever gotten your blood drawn, you know it's not just a pin-prick, but a huge needle stuck in your arm for about 1-2 full minutes-- it was pretty traumatic for my poor little boy (therefore his mommy, too). He flipped when he saw the needle (who can blame him?) and I held down my little terrified son for what seemed like forever while the receptionist held my other screaming son (Benjamin's wailing scared Jonathan, too). Anyways, since McD's makes everything better, I got Benjamin a well-deserved Happy Meal and ice cream cone. Since then, he's been rather proud of his "owie". If this whole trauma wasn't enough, we had our TB test appointment the next day. Benjamin was very nervous about going to the doctor, especially since I wouldn't give him a staight answer about whether he'd get a shot ("No shot, Mommy? I don't want to go to the shot store. Please, no shot." "Ok, we won't go to the shot store........") Jonathan didn't flinch with his TB prick, but it was a minor version of the day before with Benjamin and him flipping out and me holding him down again... thank goodness it didn't last more than a few seconds this time and thank goodness for kid-friendly nurses, fun bandaids, stickers, and tootsie pops.



MUSICAL: Both the boys love to play the piano. Jonathan does his almost-1-year-old "banging" tunes, but Benjamin really seems to actually play. He has pretty good technique, too. We may have a budding Mozart on our hands. ;)



FINISHED: or almost! (with the second year of med school) The last of Dustin's finals are this week. His very LAST CLASS EVER was on Friday!! Hurray!! We're so close to moving on to the next med school milestone. I'm so proud of my hubby!



Well, that's a few highlights of the week, sparing much of the day-to-day typical (some atypical) craziness. We look forward to another week of fulfilling busyness. Hope you have a great week yourself. :)

7 comments:

mommyshan said...

Cute new look! I like it.

BensonFam said...

I like that format. Very cute! And thanks for keeping us all posted on your cute fam. I love you, miss you and wish you well in all that's going on with your cute family.

F Montierth said...

Thanks for the tips on flight travel with children... it's good to see you guys are doing so well. What's next for Dustin? Kent has one more year of residency in Houston.

Flo

LeAnne said...

Sounds like you guys are busy! I loved the video. It is always good to hear what you guys are up too. :)

LittleFamilyJL said...

Such a cute family! And yes, quite impressive little piano player there.

tessa said...

I've been there on the blood draws/shots with kids. I swear I dread it more than them when we pull up to the doctor's sometimes. Glad you made it through again and it does get better around 5. I'm sure that seems a long way off now though:)

kjera said...

Oh my goodness his hands are perfect. He holds his fingers really well, you might just have a mozart on your hands.