Thursday, April 16, 2009

Random Happies

Our life is full of so many good things!
Here's some exciting and fun things that have happened the past few months (in no particular order :) )...  

Mommy's Get-away

My mom turned 50 in January (you wouldn't know-- I think she looks great.  I don't think she looks nearly 50, but that's what the calendar says, I suppose).   Fifty is a pretty monumental birthday deserving a very special celebration.  Her request for this celebration was to have her daughters, sisters, and mother all come to her home for a weekend to play-- no husbands, no kids-- strictly girl time.  Needless to say, all us girls were happy to oblige!  The weekend that worked best for us all (my mom, me, my two sisters, my four aunts, and my grandma) was at
 the beginning of March.  We each made special arrangements for our
 
families (my wonderful mother-in-law and sister-in-law kept my kids for most of the time--- Dustin was an angel husband and held down the fort as much as he could) and had a really
 wonderful time together.  My sister just
 younger than me and I came a few days earlier and we had a great time doing the classic girly stuff-- pedicures (my mom's first!), theater chick-flick (Confessions of a Shop-a-holic), shopping, and talking, talking, talking... ;)  Then my aunts and grandmother arrived and the party really
 started!  It was an amazing weekend hanging out with amazing women.  We toured the city, ate ice cream, played games, watched movies,
 and stayed up late laughing every night. :)   They even let me practice my photography skills and we had a blast perusing the historic main street, taking pictures.  
Each of these women-- my mom, my sisters, my grandma, and my aunts-- are so uniquely beautiful, good, strong women and it was a memorable, wonderful experience to spend sweet, quality time together.



Grampa Kelly Visits!

A week after I got back, my dad came to visit us!  How I LOVE family time!   

Grampa Kelly always brings with him a wonderful whirlwind of fun and excitement.  Two mornings, we went
 hiking (Benjamin was an amazing little hiker, practically running up the mountain--  Jonathan, however, enjoyed it as long as Grampa carried him).   We also went to a baseball game (lawn seats for spring training!) and Rawhide Cowboy park.  We missed Dustin (workin' his crazy surgery rotation), but both the boys loved being with their wonderful Grampa and all the fun he brought with him.  Daddy-- thanks for a fantastic time!  Finally, here's the pictures and videos from your trip to our place. 



We LOVED having you here with us!!  Come again soon!







Benjamin's Superhero Birthday Party

Benjamin turned four in February (can you believe that??  He's getting so big!).  Since he's still very obsessed with superheroes, I put together a superhero birthday party for him and his close friends.  I really had such a fun time planning it all-- it was my project of the month-- and, all things considered, it turned out great. :) 


Here's my recipe for a superhero birthday party:  
Superhero invitation
<span class=
(Can I just say, I LOVE photoshop?  PSE, to be specific. :) )

Superhero cupcakes 
(Benjamin's favorite superheroes are Ironman, Superman, Batman, and Spiderman)
Since I'm low on cake decorating skill and low on $$, I took the easy route in making theme cupcakes.  I printed little toppers and taped them to toothpicks.  They turned out pretty cute!  Best part-- Benjamin thought they were the coolest. :)  


Superhero costumes
I think the best part about a superhero party is becoming a superhero!  The first thing the kids did was decorate their superhero apparel.  Part of my project prep was getting capes, headbands, and gear ready for our little superheroes.  I found some fun discount fabric and cut out capes and headbands, using sticky Velcro for fasteners.  For the cape and headband emblems, I cut big ovals and smaller circles out of foam.  The kids decorated their emblems with letters, stickers, and markers.  I also found some fun goodies at the dollar store for special gear, like a glow bracelet, ring, and telescope.   The prep work sounds like a lot, but, honestly, it wasn't too bad.  I actually enjoyed it, and it was fun so see the kids enjoying their stuff.

Superhero games
Once the kids had transformed into superheroes, they were ready to save the day!  We had four groups of "people in distress" with a classic Superhero who needed their help to save them.  I made a little book where the kids put a sticker after they helped each superhero.



Ironman:  Oh, no!  A group of lost safari tourists need our help!  (aka: a bunch of those fat Little Tykes people hid in the bushes, etc. (Egg-hunt style))  The little superheroes' job was to help Ironman find all the poor, lost people.  
Batman: Oh, no!  A group of short-sighted mountain climbers are stuck on the top of the mountain!  (aka:  a row of those vintage little people on the top of the slide)  This time the little superheroes helped Batman save them by "flying" to the top of the Playground and bringing the stranded people safely home.
Spiderman: Oh, no!  A princess is imprisoned in a castle guarded by vicious dinosaurs! (aka: a borrowed barbie in B's toy castle with B's plastic dinosaurs placed in front).  The superheroes helped Spiderman free the princess by spraying the dinosaurs with silly string.
Superman: Oh, no!  A giant transformer attacked the city and ate the entire city police squad! (aka: plastic police man toy figures thrown in a transformer pinata-- along with candy, of course)  Finally, the little superheroes helped Superman save the police force by bashing the pinata to "free" the policemen (and the candy ;) ).

Superhero goodies
I figured the costume and pinata candy (and cupcake) were probably plenty of party treats, but (and this was my personal favorite part of my project) I included a little thank-you party favor with a note and a picture of Benjamin in one of his favorite superhero costumes stapled to a Spiderman fruitsnack package.  Isn't Benjamin the cutest?!

It was a really fun party, if a bit chaotic (the kids are pretty little).  We had a good time and took tons of pictures. :)  All the prep work and whatnot was, not only fun for me, but totally worth it as Benjamin had such a wonderful time.  Watching him enjoying himself was pure happiness on my part.  And the kids were the cutest bunch of little superheroes!  I'm very pleased how it all worked out.

Hurray for superheroes!

PS: If you have a child who loves superheroes, too, and you like any of these ideas, feel free to try them out.  There's quite a few links of things to download, too, if you'd like. :)  Have fun!

On a sidenote-- we also had a combined family birthday party for Dustin
 and Benjamin (since their birthdays are only a day a part).  It was really important to 
Benjamin to have a "pirate cake" for his family party.  It was also very important to Dustin ;) to have a Coldstone Creamery ice cream cake.  So I improvised.  Thank goodness for color printers! :)  We unintentionally spoiled Benjamin again this birthday with a nice pile of fun gifts (he just gets so excited about EVERYTHING-- it's so fun!).  I also intentionally spoiled Dustin (again this birthday :) ) by fulfilling his request for an iTouch-- but splurging on twice the memory (16GB).  
Can you tell I love birthdays?  I also obviously, absolutely LOVE these boys!!!!


Mommy's Birthday

Speaking of birthdays, my birthday was earlier this month.  My husband totally spoiled me!  I loved how giddy he was when he was planning the surprises for the weekend.  :)  My day started out fantastic because Dustin happened to have the day off (YAY!  That alone is one awesome bday present!)  He woke up with the kids and pretty much exclusively took care of them all day-- I didn't have to make breakfast, lunch, or dinner!  Sigh, what a man. ;)  If that wasn't enough, he had made dinner reservations at a local "fancy" restaurant and took me out for a romantic date with great food and dancing (we LOVE dancing).  The restaurant even gave me a complimentary birthday dessert-- super chocolatey deliciousness!  Afterwards, we went to the duck pond to relax and sit and chat and reminisce.  We had a wonderful time together.  Dustin made me feel so special!  

On Sunday, we had the traditional family birthday party.  The boys loved decorating and Benjamin was over-the-top excited for presents and cake.  Dustin again took over with the boys (man, he's so great!) and made a DELICIOUS dinner and cheesecake.  He also spoiled me with gifts-- accesories for my camera, an absolutely fabulous camera instruction book, and, best of all, a couple photography backgrounds (black and white).  I am SO 
excited about all my gifts-- 
I've experimented a little bit, and look 
forward to trying out more different types of pictures.  I'm so grateful for such a thoughtful, wonderful husband who really put a lot of thought, time, and effort into making my day (weekend! :) ) a special one.  It was definitely one of my very best birthdays ever. ;)   



General Conference Weekend
My birthday weekend and conference weekend were the same (making my birthday all the better-- I love conference!).  I am so grateful for our good, faithful Church leaders and their inspired, timely counsel, testimony, and encouragement.  I am also grateful that we have the opportunity to have Conference broadcast to our own home!  We love that quiet, spiritual time together.

I really want our children understand the importance of General Conference and the opportunity to learn from the Prophet, the Apostles, and other Church leaders.  So, we've begun to establish special General Conference family traditions.  
The Monday before conference, we had a special Family Home Evening dedicated to preparing for and getting excited about General Conference.  We reviewed the names and faces of the First Presidency and Apostles and discussed why conference weekend is such an exciting and special time.  Then we put together a special conference activity for the boys (Benjamin mostly, since he's old enough now to listen more) to help them pay attention to the talks and stay involved and interested throughout the conference (see "activity" details below :) ).  
On Saturday morning, we had a special breakfast picnic in the living room as we watched the first session.  We also tried to maintain the Spirit of the weekend by cleaning/shopping, etc. beforehand and spending as much time together as a family as we could between sessions.  
The Monday after, we had a great FHE reviewing the talks (using the activity again) and discussing our own insights and thoughts and sharing our testimonies.  I hope to continue to develop General Conference traditions that will truly help us cherish and rejoice in the unique and precious opportunity to hear the words of our inspired leaders.  I feel so encouraged, grateful, and spiritual strengthened.  Hurray for Conference!  And hurray for my sweet little family as we enjoy that special weekend together. :)

Kids' General Conference Game
Supplies:
Several copies of generic speaker pictures (for Seventy, etc.)
Several copies of color sheet of "keywords" or "topics" (one & two)
Cardstock
Holepunch
Yarn
Lots of sticky velcro

Assembly:
 Cut out the speaker pictures, and color and cut out the keyword pictures.  Stick pieces of one
 side of the velcro on each picture.  
Stick strips of the other side of the velcro on cardstock pages.  Punch three holes in one side of each page and tie pages together (like a book). 

How to Play:
While watching General Conference...
When a new speaker gets up, find their picture and stick it in book.  Then listen for "keywords".  Whenever you hear one of the special keywords, find the picture representing that word and stick it in the book.  

This little game really helped Benjamin get excited about conference.  And, all things considered, it worked really well!  Even when I thought Benjamin was totally distracted with something else, he would suddenly say, "Hey, he said prayer!" or temple or something else and then excitedly find the picture to put in his book.  The activity also helped Dustin and I listen closer, too, as we wanted to help Benjamin listen for keywords.   I'm excited to try it again this fall-- perhaps Jonathan will be ready to be a bit more involved, too. :)

PS: If you like the game idea and would like to download the "supplies", feel free.  It's fun to share. :)  I hope it works for your family, too. 

Family Day at the Zoo

Dustin had a Friday off a week ago (his rotation schedule was awesome!  I'm sad it's over...).  We decided to make it a family fun day!  With the weather so nice, the ZOO was the outing of choice.  We had SO much fun!  Both the boys LOVE animals and were fascinated by all the different kinds.  We spent all day touring the entire zoo.  Our favorite parts were feeding the lory-birds, feeding the giraffe, petting the sting-rays, and playing with the deer and goats in the petting zoo.  We also really enjoyed the new aquarium (I find marine life so fascinating-- I especially loved the seahorses!) and the monkeys.  We were able to get a great view of almost all the animals.  Best of all, though, was that we were able to relax and hang together as a whole family-- a very rare treat with Dustin's crazy-busy schedule.  I love love love making family memories.  These are definitely wonderful times to be cherished! 


8 comments:

LeAnne said...

Wow! You have been a busy lady. :) Looks like you have been making lots of wonderful memories with your family. I love the Superhero B-Day, the invitation is to die for cute. I also love your General Conference activities!!! I will be stealing both ideas when the time comes.

Hope you are doing great!!!

F Montierth said...

You are an amazing mom! And don't you be denying it ... you work hard so that there are lasting memories as a family and that's a credit you should be accept! ;0) Love all your ideas.

Kierst said...

I LOVE your conference ideas! I'll be using them in October. I also try to do things to help my kids feel the importance of conference and I feel I didn't do a good job this time around. One thing that we love to do is talk about king Benjamin's address beforehand so on the day of conference, we set up the little tent (or TP) and point the door towards the computer. London loves this. Then she does her little activities in her tent.

Mortensen's said...

Your zoo photos should go in your portfolio! They look like postcards! I'm going to try to talk Neal into a super hero b-day, rather than a transformer theme. I love what you did and will plan to copy you in September :) You are an AWESOME and inspiring Mommy.

Mari Kjar said...

what an intense post and i loved it. i mean I LOVED IT. y'all have had an eventful 2 months. you are an awesome mom. just nod your head and say thank you and give yourself a pat on the back!!

anyway, we are in FL until weds. i'll call ya later on this week to catch up.

also, i went to the hannah montana movie with my new friend amanda. i just got the itch, texted her, and she gave in. :) i wish i could have gone with you too. someday we'll do stuff like that. no way josh would have paid for that movie, but it was totally what the dr ordered. fun and feel good. that's the scoop with that.

too long of a comment!!!
LOVE YOU MUCH!

David and Leah said...

So fun to see your happy memory round-up! I loved it all--the birthdays (especially the pic of Benjamin and his friends with their superhero capes--and the invitation--so cute!)the girls' weekend, and the general conference ideas. What a great mommy you are! You are an inspiration to me!

kjera said...

aw what a fun and busy time you have had! I love your pictures you took, you are really good! I loved the superhero birthday party how fun was that! And you do have a wonderful husband!

Julie said...

You're quite the mom, Melinda! Looks like you guys have had lots of fun lately!