Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Day After Elections

So, the voting is over-- it's all said and done. Obama is our new president. I guess we'll see what happens. It sure was one crazy election year.

I am deeply grateful the marriage protection ammendments passed in all states (especially ours) of which it was proposed. I am so sad that this issue is so controversial--- that some are so hurt by the passing of these propositions. Yet, with a personal testimony of the divinity of marriage and family, I feel it important to stand up for what I believe in. I wish we could all agree to disagree, as I also have a strong testimony of agency, and respect one another's beliefs-- that convictions wouldn't clash so harshly. Though I haven't personally been confronted about my personal stand on this issue, I know many have been challenged and aggressively opposed. I commend all, on both sides, for courage to stand up for what they truly believe to be right while at the same time remaining respectful and compassionate for those who believe differently. I received a well-said email from a Prop 102 supporter, who's sentiments I echo. After all this, I am all the more aware and grateful for the freedoms this country offers me and my family. God Bless America!

"Dear Marriage Supporter,
You made it happen! To see all the hard work, dedication, patience, persistence, and heart put into this campaign was inspiring and humbling. All Marriage Protection Ammendments throughout the country have passed!!! We were slandered, persecuted and maligned. Our signs were stolen, defaced and destroyed along with some of our houses of worship and even some treasured relationships. But we did not shrink from the duty we felt in our hearts to an institution that has served us and our nation for generations. In whatever capacity you contributed to this cause, you are to be congratulated in your victory.Now as you and I go our separate ways I hope you take with you a sense of humility in victory. I hope that you have come to know those who’s views you have disagreed with and opposed and can offer them the olive branch of love and compassion in their loss in a manner that will be meaningful to them. All men and women of every belief are my and your brothers and sisters and deserve the respect of human dignity for whatever beliefs they have espoused. We all walk the road of life together and can always make the journey easier for those we walk it with. Good luck to you on our journey."

3 comments:

Mortensen's said...

Thank you for sharing. Our prayers are with all in our nation as we face some really diffcult times. Love you!

kjera said...

Woot woot the marriage prop passed!! That is what made the day for me. After hearing the sad news that O'bama made as pres. But hey like you said we will have to see what happens. I have been praying for our nation everyday!

tessa said...

Thanks for putting your beliefs out there. My parents were picketed on their way into church this week (San Francisco proper) and it is a really loaded issue for a lot of people.