Monday, March 30, 2009

Jonathan's Surgery

First, dear friends & family, I want to say thank you for all the kind comments, encouragement, prayers,  and support, especially regarding little Jonathan.  It means so much to us that you would think of us.  We are so blessed to know and associate with so many wonderful people!!

As a matter of update, Jonathan's surgery is tomorrow morning (super early! 6:15am-- first patient of the day, I think).  It is an Eye Muscle (Strabismus) Surgery, which, for those curious, involves stuff like this.  It's a 45-minute outpatient surgery with a one hour recovery (not bad, right?)  As I mentioned before, apparently it's a pretty minor and routine-type of surgery and Jonathan's doctor is very confident it will fix his cross-eyes (Whether he will still need the patch or not, we'll have to wait and see.  His glasses are definitely here to stay).  I must admit, when I look at the list of potential "complications"-- as unlikely as they might be-- as a parent, it's still a bit scary (death??? by anesthesia???).  The part I'm dreading most is when they wheel him away for 45 minutes while they operate.  I've heard it may be harder to see doctors operate on your child, but relinquishing total control and having to put absolute trust into professional hands... that will be hard.  I am grateful, though, we live in a day-and-age where we have such advanced, efficient, and generally low-risk medical treatments available.  Both Dustin and I see this surgery as a blessing, even if we do feel a degree of apprehension (so please do remember our little one in your prayers, if you would... risks are risks either way...  thank you, thank you!!).  It is a blessing as the surgery is meant to improve our sweet son's vision and remove a potential handicap (now and for the future), and, hopefully, will also help him not to feel quite so frustrated with life.

Thank you for your love, interest, support, prayers, and encouragement.  We feel the wonderful effects of your help and strength.  Wish us "luck" tomorrow! ;)  I'll post an update on how it goes ASAP-- little Jonathan with straight eyes! :)


PS: For those sweet, thoughtful people wondering where Benjamin will be or if I'm doing this on my own--- Benjamin will be safe and happy with his preschool friends and enjoying the morning on a field trip to the fire station.  (Thank you SO much ladies, for watching out for him!  It means a LOT!).  Dustin was able to get the WHOLE DAY off (man, I LOVE this rotation!!  If I meet his preceptor, I will hug her), so both of us with be with Jonathan before and after the surgery.  Again, we are so blessed with amazing friends and family and just good people in our path.  We couldn't do it without you! 

6 comments:

Sara said...

Oh my dear friend, prayers all around. This apprehension is a real one. Griffin had his CT Scan last Wed. and bronchoscopy last Thurs. and had to be put under for both procedures, so walking away is the hard part, but such a relief when you get to walk back into the recovery room. We will be thinking about you tomorrow and tonight to get some rest :) hugs

Kierst said...

I completely understand and empathize with your apprehensions. I'll be sure to keep Jonathan (and you) in my prayers. London had her cleft palate repaired when she was 10 months old (an in-patient 3 hour surgery). It was so sad for us to see her go away with the doctors and every minute after 3 hours (it took 4) felt like an eternity. It's definitely hard to see your precious little one go through something like that but I also feel so blessed that she can now live and eat normally. Good luck to you! I'm sure he's in good hands.

LeAnne said...

Mindy,

Oh my prayers will be with you guys tomorrow. I hope all goes well. I can't imagine all the emotions of the day. Sounds like you will have plenty of love and support there with you throughout the day. Again, my prayers will be with you.

love,

LeAnne :)

LittleFamilyJL said...

Oh my dear friends, Jonathan is definitely in our prayers. I remember breaking down when I saw them wheel Dallin away with his broken leg. He had to go under anesthesia so they could set and cast his leg. I, too, felt so helpless and worried about all the worst things.....but I'm here to tell you from experience that everything will be all right! He is in capable hands.
I'm eager to hear how things go!
We love you guys!

Mari Kjar said...

wow. we will definately pray for him/y'all and the recovery to be smooth too. you are really a parent!! a very wonderful one at that. way to see this through. you're amazing. love you all very much!!!!

kjera said...

Aw let us know how everything goes for your little guy!! Surgery no matter how minor it is, is still scary! We hope that its a blessing for Jonathan and that it will improve his life!