Benjamin!
Yes, it's true. Both my boys are now four-eyes. :) We took Jonathan in for his follow-up eye-doctor appointment earlier this month. We decided to take Benjamin in, too, just for a precautionary visit (thanks to some encouragement from friends). We didn't expect anything to come of it, but when he did the "routine" eye exam (pictures instead of letters), he didn't do so hot with the smallest pictures. The doctor dialated his eyes for a good look inside, and lo-and-behold, he has pretty bad astigmatism (plus some farsightedness in one eye and nearsightedness in the other. Strange.). The poor kid couldn't see so well and we didn't even know it! He never complained and had no obvious "symptoms"-- he didn't even squint to see things far away. I guess he just figured that's the way the world looked. Soon after the appointment, we got his glasses, and now he knows there's individual leaves on the trees. :) He is very proud of his glasses and, for the most part, loves wearing them. I think he looks incredibly handsome. And I'm so grateful we caught it now! Thanks again to my thoughtful friends for the encouragement and advice. :)
As for Jonathan... the glasses didn't improve his "lazy" eye at all. Which pretty much means he'll
Till then, we are trying patching his "good" eye to strengthen the "lazy" eye as much as possible to minimize the surgery. Jonathan is such an amazing kid. He was VERY resistant at first, but eventually learned to trust me that wearing the silly thing was important. Now, he wears it perfectly fine for the half-day he's supposed to. Honestly, it's a little miracle. I'm so proud of him. We have a pre-op appointment the week before the surgery to see if the patch has helped at all--- but so far, it hasn't seemed to help.
Despite all, I'm very grateful things are as good as they are. I'll certainly take vision issues over many other problems. And, again, I'm so grateful we can take essential steps to correcting their vision/eye problems now while they are both so trusting, adaptable, and not at all self-conscious. ;)
12 comments:
Oh my goodness they are so cute and handsome with their glasses! Look out ladies! We will keep Jonathan in our prayers for his surgery! My sister had to do a patch as well. Good luck!
Good luck for the surgery. I thought I was fine leading into Jacob's first surgery, but as they wheeled him away, I totally lost it. The whole anesthesia thing on a young one is a bit scary. Kids are so resilient, though!
Hope all goes well with the surgery. Give the little guy hugs from us.
Wow, he looks so handsome...let us know when the surgery is and if you need help watching Benjamin :)
Benjamin looks adorable in his glasses. Sorry to hear that Jonathan has to have surgery. I hope it goes well.
Such good looking boys with or without glasses and patches. Watch out ladies:)
I've been going to the blog alot cuz I miss y'all sooooo much! Christmas and January will keep me going for awhile, and so will the blog. love, Mo
They are too cute Melinda. You are an awesome little mommy!
What a looker, Benjamin! And Jonathan looks so sweet! The bishop's wife in our ward was telling me that her grandson had that same surgery done for the same thing as Jonathan...she said it really is a simple and quick procedure. She said her grandson did great and his eye of course was improved instantly! I'm sure you'll have the same results! Hang in there.
love the glasses :)
they are so cute. i was just thinking about y'all and craved seeing these pics again. let me know when the surgery is. seriously, your boys are adorable. love you so much!!
Mindy! I loved reading about your beautiful family. Congrats on the two boys. Keep in touch.
Heather (Serio) Harden
Post a Comment