Friday, December 5, 2008

Remembering...

We have the remarkable Church leaders. I am so grateful for their example, dedication, counsel, and tremendous service.


The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is organized as Jesus organized His Church during His mortal ministry with Jesus Christ at the head, leading the Church through His Prophet (currently President Thomas S. Monson). The President of the Church (Prophet) has two counselors (currently President Henry B. Eyring and President Dieter F. Uchtdorf). Together they are the First Presidency and work closely with the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Each of these valiant, humble men hold the Priesthood keys necessary to fulfill their sacred calling as special witnesses of Jesus Christ.

Throughout my life, as I have carefully listened to their words and powerful testimonies, obeyed their counsel, and experienced the fulfillment of the blessings promised, I have come to respect, admire, and love each of them dearly, though I haven't met them personally. When they are called to be a General Authority (such as an Apostle), they serve humbly and faithfully for the continuation of their lives.


One exceptional Apostle, Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, passed away a few days ago. He was the oldest living apostle (age 91), so I suppose, in a way, it is a glorious time, as he has moved forward after such a full, long life of love and dedicated service, especially to reunite with his sweet wife who died two years before. I am sad for myself, though, and those he left behind. He will be missed so much! Though I never met Elder Wirthlin personally, I grew to love his wit and humor, his profound insight, his simple, gentle encouragement, and his sincere, earnest testimony. His most recent talk in General Conference truly reflects who he was and what kind of life he lived. It is called Come What May, and Love It-- I encourage you to read it... I guarantee you will feel happier and stonger as a result. That's the effect Elder Wirthlin had on people, at least for me. I always looked forward to what stories he would tell, what wisdom he would offer, what counsel he would give, what testimony he would share. I am grateful to have loved and learned from this good man. He has truly helped me to be better, happier, stronger... to more fully live the important, joyful counsel, "Come What May---- and Love it!"

3 comments:

LittleFamilyJL said...

Well said. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and testimony.

M Whiting said...

That's amazing, Melinda! You have such a strong testimony! I'm so glad to have you has my big sister!

Kristi said...

Oh my goodness, your boys are so cute! I'm so glad you found my blog. Now we can actually stay in touch!