We've had a lot of "news" these past 6 months...
Right before we left home in September, I decided to try the life of a brunette. :) I needed a change, but didn't want to cut my hair. I've always wondered if I could pull off dark, too. So my talented friend Maria helped me take the plunged and she dyed my hair. It was strange at first, but I love the dramatic change. Dustin, who encouraged me to try dark brown, liked it once he got used to it (but won't deny he prefers blonde). Jonathan was a little disoriented at first, but didn't seem to care either way by the end of the day. Benjamin, however, was very dismayed. Right after I got it done he said, "Mommy, I don't like that black hair." Poor guy-- later I cuddled him and discussed in essence that though his stable constant (me) had changed, I was still me and life would still go on as it had and I still and always would adore and take care of him. Mostly comforted he asked, "but will it ever be blonde again?" "Yes, bud." "Tomorrow?" "No, but someday." "I don't want my hair to turn brown..." "(stifled laugh), don't worry, your hair won't turn brown." "Dora's hair is brown. I like Dora." "Yes, see? Brown it good." And then, reassured he smiled and went his merry way. Awhile later I asked him, "So, do you still not like my hair?" His cute response--"Hm, no, I like it.... but just a little bit!" I guess I'd better return to my normal color eventually. Till then, I'm really enjoying the change.
New missionary
Right after we arrived at my parents', my amazing brother, only 19 years old, left on his two-year Church mission. It was wonderful to be a part of his farewell and ordination. I am one proud big sister!
He is called to serve the people in the Salt Lake City Utah Mission, Spanish-speaking. He finished his 10 week training at the MTC and is now officially out in the field! I LOVE reading his weekly emails and updates-- he is so full of enthusiasm and faith. Love you, Cody!!
New Smile
In the middle of deep cleaning the house and packing for our "move" in September, Benjamin fell and knocked his mouth on his train table, pushing his front tooth irreparably backwards. I am SO grateful for my thoughtful friend who took Jonathan early the next morning so Benjamin and I could go to the dentist and figure out what to do. Our family dentist told us he would have to have the tooth removed and sent us to the pediatric dentist that afternoon for the extraction. Everything really went incredibly smoothly and Benjamin handled everything perfectly, I was so impressed! After discussing the tooth fairy, he didn't mind having a hole in his smile at all. He was thrilled to get quarters the next morning for his tooth and now has a bit of a jack-o-lantern smile. They said it would grow back in a couple years. I was more sad about it than anyone, just not a milestone I was ready for. But, then, he sure is cute, isn't he? :)
New Diet
For the first almost two years of his life, Jonathan was the awesomest little eater-- he enjoyed all tastes and textures and would down anything we gave him. However, since he started solids, he's thrown up a lot-- starting from occasionally to almost daily a year later. We've always watched his diet carefully and discovered some obvious irritants, such as straight soy and eggs. Then he starting breaking out in rashes and becoming a very picky eater, still throwing up often. So, off to the allergist we went, hoping to pinpoint any other personal allergens he may have. Pinpoint we did, with a much longer list than anticipated, including all nuts (we actually haven't tried nuts, due to Benjamin's experience), all lentils and beans (including soy, green beans, peas, etc.), fish, and pineapple. We're also suspicious of pears, bananas, and citrus fruit. Oh-SO thankfully dairy and gluten are not a problem-- I have dear friends who struggle much more than I do with their children's diet due to those restrictions. More gratefully, as far as we know, none of his allergies are lethal, like Benjamin's peanut deal. Yet still, in our own way and with our own challenge, we're learning to adapt. It's not all figured out, as our little guy often still feels so itchy with minor break-outs, but at least the vomiting is generally under control! We are grateful to have the resources we do, both with healthcare and easily accessible food to make the best of it all and take care of our Jonathan.

New ride
We got a van in July! It was an amazing deal and we feel very very humbled and blessed. We LOVE it and have already put thousands of new miles on it, driving from southwest to midwest, up to New York, down to DC, back to the midwest, to DC and back again, and back southwest! Despite some unfortunate cosmetic battle wounds, she's still running smooth and beautifully-- and, if the Toyota track record holds true, should for last us well for a good 5-10 years.

New memories
Also in July, we went to San Francisco for our annual family vacation! We toured Fisherman's Wharf (including the Bay Aquarium), took a bay tour past Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge, a couple museums, and toured the city on a late-night trolley ride. Thanks to my wonderful Aunt Julie and Otto for the marvelous room and board-- and to my awesome Uncle Chuck for the high-light of our trip, taking us up in the jet plane and letting us fly it!! Memories never to be forgotten...

In September, we first drove to my parent's house and dropped off our three months worth of stuff-- and the kids (thanks, mom, dad, and mollie!!!!)-- and then just Dustin and I took a couple road-trip for two weeks to New York and then Washington DC. In New York, we toured the city by subway and by foot, finally saw Wicked at the Gershwin Theater, went to the top of the Empire State Building, strolled through Central Park, ate at some unique restaurants, enjoyed our stay at our Bed and Breakfast, saw a quarter of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and, of course, cruised to the Statue of Liberty.
After a few intense touring days, we relaxed with Dustin's brother and his family-- a perfect, happy weekend with an amazing family.
Then we drove down to DC to visit my sister and tour yet another lengendary city. Mari was the BEST tour guide-- we saw almost all the monuments and smithsonians and enjoyed it all so much. We also enjoyed having my sis and her hubby join us for the road-trip back to my parents' house for some family time before my brother headed out for his mission.
All the way around, an amazing trip to remember!!
... and stay tuned for our biggest news of all, in a day or two. ;)




3 comments:
Melinda!! Seriously?! You are going to make me wait for the "big news" to come! You know what I'm thinking it is.... am I right?
But, anyway... new van!! awesome. I'm glad you are back to AZ... for a little while anyway. We'll have to have you over for an evening sometime soon. You have a BIG move ahead of you it seems... can't wait for match time! YAY for internal medicine!!
You guys have been sooo busy! I am jealous that you went to San Fran. I love it there. I am trying to convince Andrew to go there with me! I also love DC and glad your family went to the Air and Space museum...that is amazing! Good luck this next sememster!
Jenny
Oh my goodness I love the pictures from Cody's farewell. Can you believe it's almost been two years?! How fast time flies. What an amazing missionary he is!
Post a Comment